If you find yourself secretly plucking streusel crumbles from muffin tops and adore the down-home comforting flavors of tart apples basking in the glow of warm cinnamon, then this pie is for you.
You all know how much I heart Apple Pie Cheesecake. In a sense, this is the streusel covered pie version of that fantastic cheesecake.
This Dutch apple pie’s buttery, molasses flavored struesel crumbles are out of this world fabulous. So fab, in fact, that I generally pick a few off the pie before it even makes it to the oven.
This pie is quick to put together. We’re not going to peel the apples, but let’s keep that between us. Baked apples soften so the peel isn’t even noticeable. We’ll also use a fast trick to roll out the pie crust.
While we’re on the subject- does anyone else dread rolling pastry crusts?
Sure, there are press-in crusts, but let’s go the whole nine yards. Any pie I share with you must be pretty awesomely noteworthy or I wouldn’t even bother making it.
[Tweet “Minutes shaved off pie prep are minutes saved for pie eating!”]
- Crust (makes 2)
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. baking powder
- ⅔ c. shortening
- 1 T. oil
- 4-5 T milk
- 1 c. sugar
- 4 T. cornstarch (or all purpose flour)
- ½ t. nutmeg
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. salt
- 4 ½ c. sliced apples ( I don't peel)
- 1 T. lemon or orange zest
- 2 T. butter, cut into small bits
- 1 c. flour
- ⅓ c. butter, melted
- ⅓ c. brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- Crust: Mix dry ingredients. Add shortening with fork. Add oil and toss lightly. Add milk and form into a ball. Divide in half, place each half in a plastic bag and chill 30 minutes. You may freeze the extra half. Roll out to fit on floured surface or between 2 sheets of cellophane.
- Filling: Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and add apple. Place in pastry crust and top with butter bits.
- Streusel: Blend all ingredients together and crumble over top of filling.
- Bake 350 for 1 hour on a cookie sheet to avoid spillover. Alt: bake 10 minutes at 425, then drop temperature to 350 for 35 min. Cool and serve alongside creamy vanilla ice cream.
Roll that pastry crust with joy for both of us, okay?