Chewy on the inside, crunchy golden coconut on the outside, and bathed in dark chocolate, these coconut macaroon cookies will have you playing Beach Boys tunes before they’re even outta the oven!Summer may be over, but coconut season lives on with coconut cookies! In fact, these unbelievably easy coconut macaroons are so scrumptious that I began diving into all kinds of ways to use coconut afterward.
Spoiler… All you’ve gotta do is mix the ingredients together in a bowl and bake. So simple! And a perfect macaroons recipe for baking with your kids!
Forming beautiful mounded coconut macaroons was my biggest challenge after having baked a few coconut cookies recipes prior. Sometimes the cookies fell apart, looked lopsided, or like bird nests gone awry.
The trick to molding gorgeous macaroons? Wet hands. That’s right! First, use a cookie scoop to portion mounds of macaroons onto your baking sheet. Then, wet your hands and tightly roll each mound into a perfect little ball and gently press down to shape. Presto! The cookies don’t fall apart and bake up beautiful! This makes dipping MUCH easier too!!
Without further adieu, let’s bake some coconut macaroons!
- Coconut Macaroons
- [5½ cups gently packed flaked coconut
- 1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate, broken into pieces, or chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine all ingredients and stir to mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, mound coconut onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Wet your hands and gently form each mound into a nice round ball.
- Bake cookies 20-0 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool completely.
- Heat chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and dip each coconut macaroon cookie into the chocolate. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate to firm up the chocolate. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days or refrigerated for 5 days.
What’s your favorite summer-liciously inspired cookie flavor? Please share below in the comments!