Homemade pizza crust topped with nutty, vibrant pesto, curry chicken, caramelized onions, kale, and tons of cheese. Your soon-to-be favorite pizza! Pizza for breakfast? You guys, I just can’t handle that. Until now. Why the change of heart? I had dough thawing in the freezer for 2 days and needed to use it up before a whirlwind weekend trip. Can’t waste pizza dough goodness! So it became breakfast. (You might notice the scrambled eggs I added on top for an extra protein punch.)
This hearty, nutritious vibrant pesto pizza with curry chicken, greens, and mozzarella was our Saturday morning treat. OMG! The smell wafting from the oven was enough to convince my late sleeping husband to roll out of bed.Now, there are a few ways to go about making this pesto pizza. You could buy the crust, the pesto sauce, and stir together some chicken breast with your favorite jar of curry sauce and call it a day.
Or… you can make it from scratch. I recommend the latter.Making pesto is a five-minute life changing experience. Trust me, once you’ve had homemade pesto, you’ll never go back! Start with this quick and easy pesto recipe. All you need is a small food processor like this one, which has lived on my counter this past month. #pestoaddition
Next, you’ll need about a cup of shredded curry chicken. We scarfed down Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala for dinner the night before and used the leftovers as a topping for the pesto chicken pizza. The contrasing flavor bursts between the nutty pesto and the spicy curry was a flavorfest I won’t soon forget. SOOO good guys!
Lastly, you’ll need pizza dough. I used Bobby Flay’s pizza dough recipe. It makes two thin pizza crust pizzas. One for now, one to freeze for later.I’ll be honest, most of the time I don’t use a recipe for my dough. I’ve made it enough times to knead it in my sleep. Promise I’ll measure it out and share it with you soon!
Got an extra 10 minutes and a sweet tooth? Whip up a quick batch of raw dark chocolate brownies for dessert!)
Let’s get this pizza baking!
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 cup curry chicken
- 1-12" pizza dough
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 cups mozzarella
- 1 cup kale or your favorite greens
- 3 eggs, scrambled (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, optional for keeping pizza from sticking to pan
- Preheat oven to 475F. Place a rack in the lower third of your oven.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly into pizza pan. Roll out dough and place in pan to rise for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium low heat until just golden brown. Add the kale and heat just until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto over pizza dough. Top with onion and greens mixture, chicken, and finally, mozzarella.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until crust is golden brown. Wait 5 minutes before slicing.
- Devour. Repeat weekly!
What’s your family’s favorite bogus pizza topping? Fill us in below!