Confession: My husband is a better gift wrapper than I. There seems to be a genetic disposition in Ticos (the local term of endearment for Costa Ricans) toward an extraordinary gift-wrapping ability. Their gifts aren’t just rolled up in paper & fastened together with Scotch tape. Oh no, not here. In fact, everyone who receives a gift from me can ID mine straightaway by taking quick glance at the packaging.
Mind you, I’m not the world’s worst wrapper (rapper, perhaps) but my pretty packages tied up with strings don’t hold a candle to the unique gift wrapping abilities of any ordinary Tico. Since the hubs has hands-on experience with the creative packaging process, he’ll be sharing 10 unique & pretty (simple) gift wrapping technique tutorials for every occasion with us as the holiday season approaches. Let’s primp that present. Ready for tutorial #1?
Behold my hunky husband, our master gift-wrapping tech, whip out a fancy pro-bow in no time flat. Who knew it was so flipping simple? Grab some ribbon, tape, scissors, a stapler & get to work. You’ll be jolly pleased with your work, I promise. It’s pretty straightforward, but if you have questions, be sure to ask mention in the comments or email me. We offer pretty packaging tech support. 🙂
Bow Tutorial Video
Make a fancy, frilly, fringed bow in just a couple of minutes that’ll impress your recipient’s socks off.
Supplies: ribbon, tape, scissors, stapler
Accordion Fold Gift Wrap Tutorial
This pretty gift wrapping technique is a great way to add a little pizzazz to your package. If you can accordion fold, you’ve already got this mastered. Bust out your gift wrapping supplies and check out the photos and step-by-step instructions below.
Supplies: gift wrapping paper, tape, scissors, bow
1. Determine which direction you’d like the folds to cross over the package. Flip paper with decorative side facing down and crease paper 1 accordion fold.
2-3. Continue accordion folding, keeping similar space between the folds until you’ve reached your desired level of “wow” factor.
4. Tape down the folds on the back side of the paper.
5. Place gift atop the paper, arranging it with the folds where you’d like them to show up.
6. Fold edges of gift wrap over your gift to check how the edge designs align. We’re going for continued seamless pattern here.
7. Fold the edges of the paper as necessary to align the design.
8. Adhere half the tape strip along folded edge, sticky side facing out toward decorative side. Fold the tape strip backwards, toward the inside of the package and pull the paper around the gift to secure one side without any visible tape. Use double stick tape, if you’ve got it around, to make this part simpler. In essence, you’re just making double stick tape from ordinary tape by folding it backward.
9. Follow the same folded edge & no-show taping technique along both ends of the package and secure with your handmade bow. Voila!
See, I told you, my Tico’s got skills! His hidden talent is one of those surprises that I found out well after we got married. Smiles.
Stay tuned for more Primp my Present: pretty(simple) gift wrapping techniques for every occasion.