Lava thick, rich, luscious, dark chocolate…
EATEN WITH A SPOON!
Italy knows hot chocolate. They rock hot chocolate, oh do they! Italian hot chocolate, thick enough to be served always with a spoon alongside, is in a whole ‘nother league than North American (and most other) hot chocolates & cocoas.
Chocolate Pudding and Chocolate Milk marry.
This is their sweet, sweet child.
The first clue about the sinfulness of this delicious flavor sensation is the intensity of the black chocolate color. HellO yum!
The best part about Italian hot chocolate, aside from the extreme chocolate rush it offers, is that it takes mere minutes to whip whisk up at home any time you need a serious chocolate fix. My favorite way to serve this chocolate is in pretty & petite espresso cups.
*Warning: Once you try Italian hot chocolate, you may never be satisfied with hot cocoa mix again.
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa powder (unsweetened for baking or otherwise; the higher the quality, the better)
- 1 c. Milk
- 2-3 tablespoonsSugar
- Pinch Salt
- ⅛ teaspoons Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoons Brewed Espresso or ⅛ t. Instant Coffee Grounds
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch + 2 teaspoons Cold water, stirred together
- Combine cocoa powder, salt, sugar, and a couple tablespoons of water to form a loose paste in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil and allow to boil 1 minute.
- Pour in milk and the cornstarch mixture. Whisk frequently and bring the liquid back to a boil to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- When thickened to your liking, turn off the heat and add vanilla, if you choose. Taste and adjust sugar as needed.
- Ladle or pour immediately into pretty little espresso cups and serve piping hot. Relish the moment.
What’s your favorite hot chocolate drink?