I made wholesome spiced carrot muffins to get him out of his breakfast funk.
They’re loads more nutritional than the Lucky Charms knockoff he’d been munching and a great breakfast or anytime treat for the whole family.
Muffins are not cupcakes. Many muffin recipes have more sugar than full-fledged cakes. That’s a sham. Let’s just call those what they are, folks- cupcakes.
These carrots muffins are moist and delicious without being overly sweet. I feel good about eating them for breakfast and especially about feeding them to my toddler who still doesn’t dine on sweets.
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c.oats (rolled or quick) + 1-2 T. for adornment
- 2 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. cloves
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 c. milk
- ½ c. oil
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 T. chia seeds
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 2 c. grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine chia seeds in a small cup with ¼ c. water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Prep 14 muffin cups with liners.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.Pour in all wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Stir in carrots.
- Fill muffin tins nearly to the top. Bake 20 minutes and test for doneness with a toothpick.
- Remove from pan and cool.
These wholesome spiced carrot muffins will definitely be showing up in my kitchen again very soon. Like, probably next week soon. For more homemade breakfast inspiration be sure to follow me on Pinterest!