Who else wants more sleep? Nighttime sleep can be evasive with a baby in the house. Many parents struggle upwards of a year coaxing their little ones nightly into sporadic stints of slumber. Help your child get to sleep faster, and win yourself some much-needed shut eye by gleaning a few tips from our effective baby bedtime routine.
Summer Elizabeth has been put to sleep the same way since she was first born. She’s also been a 12 hour+ all-night sleeper since 5 months old, but that’s a whole different post. I’m not saying that our baby bedtime routine necessarily has anything to do with her straight “A” sleeping skills, but it certainly has been effective to ease her into a peaceful nighttime sleep for 18 months & counting in 7 different bedroom locations around the globe.
Our baby (now toddler) bedtime routine at a glance:
- 5 minutes before the bedtime routine begins, I let baby know that it will soon be bedtime.
- Daddy undresses Summerbeth while I ready the bath/shower water.
- Mommy bathes Summer & Daddy preps her room for sleeping: closes curtains, lays out pjs, our go-to nighttime cloth diaper & blankets, readies the CD player with our lullaby worship disc.
- Dress baby in night-night clothes & towel dry her hair in a semi-lit room.
- Pray together as a family as baby nurses.
- Tuck in that sweet, drowsy little girl.
If you’ve got great suggestions about how to make baby bedtimes more manageable and stress-free or if you’re at wit’s end and need a little advice & encouragement, please share below in the comments or email me at jellibeanjournals (at) hotmail (dot) com.
For more motherhood tips and tricks, follow my purposeful parenting board on Pinterest.