Last week four loaves of meaty cheesy bread goodness emerged from our warm oven in record time.
I love that!
Each loaf is prepared in less than 25 minutes, from mixing to sliding-into-oven time. These beauties are deliciously impressive and very filling- enough for a crowd. Expecting visitors for coffee? Impress them with one of these delightful braids.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages quick-rise yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ pound thinly sliced deli ham
- ½ pound sliced pastrami
- 3 slices Muenster cheese
- 3 slices Cheddar cheese
- oregano, basil, or herbs of choice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a glass measuring cup, warm mustard, water, and butter in the microwave. Add to flour mixture.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be stiff).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (Or mix with dough hook in large mixer on med. for 6 minutes.)
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 14-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- Arrange ham over half the dough. Top with cheddar and sprinkle liberally with herbs. Top other half with remaining pastrami and muenster and sprinkle with herbs.
- Roll each rectangle up lengthwise, pinching together the seam and rolling the log a bit to seal.
- Cross ropes together in the center and continue to twist. Tuck ends under and pinch to seal.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
What fillings would you like to see in my next loaf? Let me know in the comments!
oh so yummy this would be very tasty at our next gathering
come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com